Skip to main content

Setting Up Ubuntu Development

Ubuntu! I know, all you Windows guys would say. Not again, another operating stuff. Okay. Got it! But I have to try it out. Not that it's cool but you know I have to learn other stuff. As we all know Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distribution for mere mortals. Well, I'm certainly one of the mortals so I have to try it out.

First off, virtual machine. I use VirtualBox, from Oracle. I know (have to try Qemu soon). VirtualBox can be download here. Installing it is simple so I don't need to put it here. After installation, now comes Ubuntu. I don't have to explain Ubuntu as the documentation is very helpful for any beginners. But you can download it from here. Besides I'm not English speaking so they can explain it better than me. But as introduction it's an operating system. That is all I can say.

Now then open VirtualBox and create a new machine. It can be accessed through the Machine menu at the top and click New. When asked for a name, I usually enter Ubuntu10 Development. Why the version you say? I'm also tinkering with another version like 11 so I have to create distinctions. Just click the default memory assigned VirtualBox for now. Now for the hard disk, let's create a new HD and let it expand dynamically. Usually I select 20G for the initial size. And we're done.

Actually not at all. We have to install the operating system on the hard disk we've just created. Now run the machine and it should fail. No bootable something is the error we see. We can add a device that's exactly for booting purposes. Devices can be found in the Devices menu and Add CD/DVD and add the ISO we just downloaded a while ago. Select it and make sure it's there (just below the devices usually D or E) and checked. Restart it by going to Machine and insert Ctrl-Alt Delete. This should restart and start the installation of Ubuntu.

Installation of Ubuntu should be straightforward.

Well, Ubuntu is somewhat developer friendly or any Linux for that matter. You can do python or gcc at the terminal. But just recently I'm inclined to learn more on python so I blogged a little about some basic pythoning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Linux Journey: Hello World with .NET

Today marks the beginning of my journey into the world of Linux. As a lifelong Windows user, venturing into a new operating system felt like stepping into uncharted territory. But armed with curiosity and a desire to explore, I took the leap. My first task? A simple "Hello World" program using .NET. With the installation of .NET 8.0 on my Linux machine, I was ready to dive in. I created a new directory for my project, aptly named "helloworld," and ran the following commands: dotnet new console -o helloworld cd helloworld dotnet run And just like that, the words "Hello World" appeared on my terminal screen, a small victory but a significant milestone in my Linux journey. As I reflect on this humble beginning, I am reminded of the endless possibilities that lie ahead. From mastering the command line to exploring the vast ecosystem of open-source tools and technologies, there is much to learn and discover. Join me as I embark on this exciting adventure, one c...

The Importance of Counting Table Rows in Database Management

 In the realm of database management, where accuracy and efficiency are paramount, counting table rows stands as a foundational practice. It serves as a reliable indicator of database health, offering insights into data integrity, application performance, and system behavior. In this blog post, we explore the significance of counting table rows and its practical applications in database management. Understanding the Importance Counting table rows may seem like a simple task, but its implications are profound. Here's why it's crucial: Data Integrity Verification : By comparing row counts before and after executing operations like inserts, updates, or deletions, you can ensure data integrity. Any discrepancies indicate potential issues that require investigation. Performance Monitoring : Monitoring row counts provides valuable insights into application performance. Sudden spikes or drops in row counts may indicate inefficient queries, bottlenecks, or data processing issues. Capac...

Python Hydrology

Recently I'm learning Python and encountered the Hydrology book. Had to upgrade some of python packages and some libraries needed to get working with the book. There is an instruction though about mostly using pip install packages need for the book. The problem is I can't get it work. It's missing some things so I did a little google and hopefully this is a compilation of the things I need to work with the examples of the book. First off, I updated the apt-get $ sudo apt-get update Next is I installed the pip package manager. I'm not too sure but I have Ubuntu 10 and it doesn't have the pip installed. So I installed using the command below. $ sudo apt-get install python-pip Now the development packages for python. $ sudo apt-get install python-dev Most of the examples uses the scientific number packages so I installed numpy and other packages I'm not quite aware of. It's just that some of the examples probably in the later part of the book use...