Skip to main content

Lithium first glimpse

I decided to review my PHP and now I’m interested with the Lithium project. I wanted to get my hands on it just to see what it can do and what are the good stuff in it. Lithium by the way is a PHP web framework, it’s RAD. If you don’t know what a PHP web framework is, I don’t think I can help you. But a Google with the topic can result to many useful resources.

I almost forgot most of my PHP background because it’s been 2 years since I coded it. And it was with 4.3 and Oracle. I’m not too sure about what to do next. Instead of installing everything from scratch, I decided to install XAMPP. It’s easy and good stuff (I think). Unlike before, installing PHP and Apache, make Apache recorgnized PHP, add a module to it, install MySQL… You know what I mean. It’s a hassle. But with XAMPP, it’s just a single install and everything is in there. Of course, this doesn’t help if you’re a geek and pretend to know everything and installing everything by hand makes you happy. But for me, it’s fine. For now.

When I got Lithium source, I just pasted it in the htdocs directory and there it goes. It’s slick. It also has some good tutorial in their site. Everything is good. Until I decided to check on Contribution. Not that I can contribute but who knows. I bumped into an error with the coverage. I never knew PHP has coverage. That’s interesting. So I Google a bit and read a few statements in lithium’s wiki about xdebug. There it is. XDebug is actually and extension for PHP and has good stuff. It has code coverage and everything useful for developing PHP applications. God, I never knew this is coming. The more I surf the net, the more I know things I don't know.

So back with the error, it has something to do with xdebug_start_code_coverage method not found. I ran into xdebug installation and it’s just adding the extension to the Apache. That’s simple, I think I can do that. But when I look into the XAMPP’s PHP installation, I noticed php.ini has the extension but commented. Ha! That’s even simpler. I uncommented it and voila. When running lithium test cases it fetched off the call stack with information I found some useful. Although I’m not too sure I’m too familiar with it. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Linux Journey: Hello World with .NET

Today marks the beginning of my journey into the world of Linux. As a lifelong Windows user, venturing into a new operating system felt like stepping into uncharted territory. But armed with curiosity and a desire to explore, I took the leap. My first task? A simple "Hello World" program using .NET. With the installation of .NET 8.0 on my Linux machine, I was ready to dive in. I created a new directory for my project, aptly named "helloworld," and ran the following commands: dotnet new console -o helloworld cd helloworld dotnet run And just like that, the words "Hello World" appeared on my terminal screen, a small victory but a significant milestone in my Linux journey. As I reflect on this humble beginning, I am reminded of the endless possibilities that lie ahead. From mastering the command line to exploring the vast ecosystem of open-source tools and technologies, there is much to learn and discover. Join me as I embark on this exciting adventure, one c...

Python Hydrology

Recently I'm learning Python and encountered the Hydrology book. Had to upgrade some of python packages and some libraries needed to get working with the book. There is an instruction though about mostly using pip install packages need for the book. The problem is I can't get it work. It's missing some things so I did a little google and hopefully this is a compilation of the things I need to work with the examples of the book. First off, I updated the apt-get $ sudo apt-get update Next is I installed the pip package manager. I'm not too sure but I have Ubuntu 10 and it doesn't have the pip installed. So I installed using the command below. $ sudo apt-get install python-pip Now the development packages for python. $ sudo apt-get install python-dev Most of the examples uses the scientific number packages so I installed numpy and other packages I'm not quite aware of. It's just that some of the examples probably in the later part of the book use...

Reasons why you don't apply to some Companies

Just a note, this is just a joke. So for some companies, I would ask you to evaluate me first not base your judgement for hiring me in this post. :) Recently, I planned on getting another job. This time with programming languages I'm not familiar with. Just to get my hands on. Something like Python or Ruby, or JS and NoSQL. You know what I mean. Then came, job posts at some Ads. Recruiters really think they are smart. They're not even reviewing what they're posting and not getting consultation from experts offering a job. For example SEO Experts (20k to 30k) with GREAT “DAYTIME” CAREER OPPORTUNITIES A NEW COMPANY soon to expand OPERATIONS in CEBU!!! I'm sure 30k is not that great. And what's with the DAYTIME? Also Perfect Worklife Balance: “Daytime Work” and Guaranteed 5 day work week only Easy to Manage Accounts Excellent Compensation based on expertise, we are only looking for top talent and pay accordingly Performance and Attendance bonuses...